The IT infrastructure in any establishment or institution has become the backbone of that entity. And on many occasions, the entire operations of a manufacturing or service environment could simply come to a standstill if there is a breakdown in the system. This could happen either due to hardware malfunctioning or a bug in the software. It is therefore, essential that there is someone who is there to oversee the IT infrastructure. That individual has to have the qualification to take care of the equipment and do troubleshooting. It becomes a management function all over and an itil® foundation and exam course is the best way to fully understand the nuances of this function. It’s usually a short-duration course, but is really packed with all that you would want to learn about the service, from strategy to management.
Quite a Broad Based Course Content
The 3 day course, leading to the itil® foundation and exam, is a very broad based one covering a huge range of subjects over 4 or 5 modules. These modules can be summarized as below:
1. The Strategy: The first module will aim at familiarizing the learner with the basic objectives of the service being rendered by the IT service management function, the stakes and the stakeholders and how it is integrated into the overall management of the establishment. The aspect of how much value the service brings to the institution will also be addressed.
2. The Design Architecture: The next module will focus on the service design, the processes involved and in particular, the service level management. The aspects like capacity management and the models of reporting to the higher management, the service levels being managed by the function also get covered in this module. One more important thing would be the information security management.
3. Transition Management: The third module of itil® foundation and exam will initiate the learner of the course into the techniques behind change management as it applies to the service management of the IT infrastructure. Service knowledge management system is an important part of the module and helps the learner to become an expert in the field.
4. Operation Management: This is yet another critical module in the overall scheme of things. At the center of this module is the troubleshooting function. The processes and the functions involved in attending to the day to day events and incidents as well as problem management will get covered in this module.
5. Ongoing Improvement Activities: No good IT infrastructure can continue to operate without being upgraded and improvements being brought in at regular intervals. The 5th and last module on this IT systems management course covers these aspects in some depth. There would be a 7-step improvement process that will take the learner through the stages of bringing in the basic metrics and their improvements.
The institute offering the course could be holding their sessions in your city; you should check for the dates and the timings. There might not be any specific eligibility criterion for enrolling for the course, but it would be expected that the candidates applying would have some minimum exposure to a typical IT service environment.Read More